Sunday, February 21, 2016

Local Revision: Variety

1. How much variation is there in your sentence structures in the current draft? Can you spot any repetitive or redundant sentence patterns in your writing? Provide a cogent analysis of what the Rules for Writers reading tells you about your sentences.

Although I tried to be aware of intentionally varying my sentence lengths, they tend to be longer sentences. There are a good number of short sentences but still, many long sentences. However, the beginnings of sentences and overall structure vary frequently but most are complex sentences.

I have a variety of inverted sentences as well as many that follow normal structural guidelines. I have tightened a lot of wordy sentences. I have a variety of complex and compound sentences.

2. What about paragraph structures, including transitions between different paragraphs (or, for video/audio projects, different sections of the project)?

My QRG goes in chronological order. Because of this, it was not difficult to transition between paragraphs. They flow as a story would except that they are separated by headlines.

3. What about vocabulary? Is there variety and flavor in your use of vocabulary? What are the main strengths and weaknesses of the draft's approach to vocabulary?

I have not gone through the verbs quite yet. Once that is done, there will be more strength in flavor. Right now, the verbs are a little dull. I think the specific words that I used were strong. Working that strength into the rest of my QRG is my next goal. There are some good snazzy descriptive words.

No comments:

Post a Comment