Sunday, January 31, 2016

Reddit and What I Found There


Thus far, I have found the most interest in stories pertaining to psychology. So, for this post, I decided to deepen my investigation. 


 Klee, Romana. "in the hay" 06/13/2011 via Flickr. Attribution-ShareAlike License

1. What kinds of things do people in the Reddit forums seem to be arguing about, debating, disagreeing about or otherwise engaging in meaningful exchanges of ideas about? Give us a descriptive and clear sense of the kinds of stories you're seeing in the Reddit forums.

For the most part, threads seem to be focused on debate or answering of questions. Unlike Twitter, there is less of a focus on simply sharing information and more of a focus on debating information. The debates are centered around a broad number if trending controversies related to psychology (i.e. positive psychology, academic practices, etc.) additionally, the questions and answers are often about the realities and options  of a career in psychology. 

2. In your opinion, what are the two most interesting debates/disagreements you found in the Reddit forums? Hyperlink us to the two different Reddit threads and explain why you found those debates interesting. Be specific and honest and be yourself. I don't want you to blah-blah-blah this. I want you to really engage.

An AMA thread posted by a psychology grad student provided fascinating insight into the world of finding a career as someone studying psychology. I was not aware that there is a perceived bad market for jobs or even that there were no clinical options for careers. Likewise, I found an undergraduate's post asking what unknown job opportunities are there if you have a degree in psychology very interesting. On-call-esque jobs sound interesting to me such as working with kids with behavioral issues at home. They give you a free-feeling job filled with satisfaction and engagement. 

3. Overall, what impression do you get of your discipline based on what you saw happening in the Reddit forums? Were the people in those forums talking in ways you expected or did not expect, about things you anticipated they'd be talking aboput or things you had no idea they'd be discussing? Explain in concise specific detail.

I am surprised by how much more interesting I find this than public health or anthropology. There are so many career possibilities. From private practice to hospital work to research, the possibilities just seem endless. I did not realize there was this huge database full of people exchanging ideas about the realities of different fields. While I now understand that this is the point of reddit, I was most surprised by the sheer number of threads informing readers of the realities of jobs in psychology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment