Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Writing Process

Reflecting on your writing process is important - important to maintaining your ability, important to improving your ability, important to changing your ability. Gaining awareness of what techniques you use can help to zero in on specific ways to improve them. As I looked at my methods, I realized the value of focusing on my revision process.


Satyricom. "Star's" 12/19/2009 via Flickr. Attribution license 

1. I consider myself to be a creative Heavy Reviser. When inspiration hits me, I like to find a unique way to look at a prompt. However, I often find difficulty in getting that inspiration.

2. As I write, I combine focusing on revision with an occasional and unfortunate focus on procrastination. When I write, I tend to just sit down and write. Planning never seems to help much. Because of this, revising is important but I sometimes ignore this in a time crunch.

3. My process is successful when I get some inspiring idea. Although, this does not always happen. My main struggle is feeling confident about my work when I and working without inspiration. 

4. You can never harm your writing style by trying different approaches. I would like to try different methods of planning, writing, and revising. How can you truly rule out a writing style if you have never tried it?

No comments:

Post a Comment