Sunday, January 24, 2016

Course Projects

Throughout the semester, there is a broad range of major assignments with a broad range of genres. The opportunity to reflect on the challenges and opportunities that will come with each project will help to prepare for any obstacles and major time commitments.


Dex, Dennis. "cow_glasses" 08/03/2011 via Flickr. Attribution license 

1. The variety of genres makes me a little nervous. I have never put a podcast, video essay, or quick reference guide together. I am excited for the opportunity to incorporate more creativity into my projects but the uncertainty of each genre is still concerning. Or will certainly be an adventure!

2. I am very excited to have the chance to explore different fields of study. I am currently undeclared. I have been leaning towards public health or anthropology but I am also interested in medicine. Each project's focus on expanding your knowledge of a career field will hopefully help me narrow down my decision. I cannot wait to explore majors. 

3. The portions of each project that require collaboration with another person will require the most amount of planning beforehand. Specifically the interviews of project two and peer review. Additionally, the process of finding an idea to focus on for projects one and three will require open mindedness and thoughtfulness in the time leading up to the beginning of the project. This will be a challenge as it requires a fair amount of planning ahead. I struggle with working on a project over the span of a few weeks and rather prefer to save the bulk of the work for the last two to five days. However, with these projects, that will not be an intelligent option. 

4. In my last Spanish classes, I have been required to put together current events reports.  Of all my high school classes, this has probably prepared me the most. I developed research skills and critical and objective writing skills. One of the fields I'm most interested in is public health. Researching current events in South and Central America and Spain gave me a bit of a taste for some issues that might be relevant to public health as well as some skills that will be useful for the course projects. 

5. At this point, all my questions have been answered by the d2l resources. But as I do further research into each project and the topics I choose, I may have more questions. Should that happen, I will bring them up. 

Reflection

From reading Elizabeth Hernandez's post and Ben Barnett's post I found a commonality between our concern about time management and focusing on planning. As this is one of the main things I am concerned about, I felt reassured knowing I am not alone. The interviews also seem to be either a concern or an interest in both Ben and Elizabeth's as well as a few other posts I read. I really appreciate the focus on field of study in the projects and I see that this is also an area of interest in many other's posts. I'm excited to learn about different fields and possibly narrow down my interests. 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you on the fact that I'm somewhat nervous as to the broad nature of the projects we'll be seeing in this class, and I'm also very excited for delving deeper into my own field. I'm also worried somewhat about my time management skills, which should make for some interesting time crunches. Overall, I feel like your post helps define the needs of the course and explains very well your worries about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your post, I realize that you have definitely picked up on some of the same fears of mine about the interviews and research needed for each project. I know that it will be hard to coordinate all of those efforts, but when I remember that everyone else in the class is going through the same process, it makes it somewhat better. I wish you the best of luck going forward with research, interviews, and the course!

    ReplyDelete